Faculty with Teaching Responsibilities
NOTE: The ability to sign up for training and access resources requires that you have your USC net ID and your 10-digit employee number. Those are provided after you have submitted your signed offer letter and after you have been set up in payroll.
To get your USC net ID and your 10-digit employee number, go to “first log-in“.
Your First Few Days
- If you have not already done so, log in to Blackboard, the university’s e-learning platform, to prep your course(s).
- Become familiar with the university’s guidelines to maintaining your classes in an emergency.
Your First Few Months
Become familiar with the various resources provided by the university to help faculty with their teaching:
- Center for Scholarly Technology (CST): Offers support services to faculty to help them take advantage of technology to enhance their teaching, including consultation services and workshops and training on instructional design, technology-enhanced assessments, learning technologies, and distance learning. CST also hosts faculty forums that feature presentations on current topics in distance learning and technology-enhanced learning.
- Center for Excellence in Teaching (CET): Offers activities and programs that promote and support effective teaching and mentoring. The CET offers a number of workshops and resources to help faculty develop and strengthen their teaching, including the opportunity to observe master teachers in the classroom.
Also gain familiarity with the university’s policies and resources in place to address student needs:
- Academic Support: Refer students to the USC Center for Academic Support. It serves as the central resource and referral agency for learning enrichment at USC, including tutoring services, support counseling, and disability services and programs. CAS is located in the Student Union building on the University Park Campus.
- Medical and Counseling Services: Refer students to the USC Engemann Student Health Center. The health center is located on the University Park Campus near Parking Structure B.
- Academic Misconduct: Report academic misconduct to Student Judicial Affairs and Community Standards.
Last updated August 5, 2016.