Faculty with Research Responsibilities

Getting Set Up as a Researcher: Word | PDF

Guide to Research at USC (Office of Compliance)

NOTE: The ability to sign up for training and access resources requires that you have your USC net ID and your 10-digit employee number. Those are provided after you have submitted your signed offer letter and after you have been set up in payroll.

To get your USC net ID and your 10-digit employee number, go to “first log-in“.

Your First Few Days

  • The Office of Environmental Health and Safety provides an online primer for new principal investigators that provides detailed information on biological safety, chemical safety, and radiation safety.
  • Become familiar with the various research administrative systems (aka USC TARA) used by the university to help investigators manage their research awards, proposals, core laboratories, and regulatory protocols.
    • Kuali Coeus: Used to manage awards and prepare and submit proposals
    • Kuali Financial Systems: Used to manage accounts and finances
    • diSClose: Used to submit and track conflict of interest disclosures
    • iStar: Used to track and submit Institutional Review Board (IRB) protocols
    • IACUC (Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee): Used to submit and track IACUC protocols
    • CORES: An automatic billing system for recharge service centers
    • FiPS (Financial Project System): Used to project expenditures and analyze changes in budgets
  • Review the Guide for Research provided by the Office of Research to understand your responsibilities as a research investigator and that of other parties and departments in the university.

Your First Few Months

Required Training

  • If you haven’t already, review and complete the HIPAA Privacy Education Program online.

Resources and Policies

  • Familiarize yourself with the Department of Contracts and Grants and learn the process for proposal submission, award negotiation, account set-up, and all other important administrative aspects of getting a grant and maintaining compliance.
  • Familiarize yourself with the university’s policies and guidelines on research compliance and conflict of interest in research.
  • Familiarize yourself with the different university programs for working with students in your lab:
    • Undergraduate Research Associates Program: Offered through the Office of Undergraduate Studies, URAP makes available financial resources that will encourage faculty to integrate undergraduates into their ongoing scholarly and professional activities.
    • Graduate Fellowships: The university awards highly competitive fellowships to top Ph.D. candidates in all fields. Contact your department chair if you are interested in having graduate students in your lab.
    • Postdoctoral Scholars: The Office of Postdoctoral Affairs works closely with academic units to help recruit a diverse cadre of the best junior scholars to the university and facilitate the training and preparation of postdoctoral scholars for careers as independent researchers, academics, and leaders of their chosen fields.

Last updated August 5, 2016.