The Provost’s Mentoring Award, presented annually at the Academic Honors Convocation, honors an individual faculty member whose investment in and generosity toward the academic and professional success of other USC faculty, postdoctoral fellows, graduate students, or undergraduate students demonstrate exemplary mentoring.
Faculty members who consistently do one or more of the following:
- Demonstrate long term commitments to mentoring faculty, graduate students, or undergraduate students at USC.
- Offer sound counsel and valuable information to their mentees in order to advance and develop the mentee’s own path to academic, research and professional success.
- Sponsor students and colleagues so that they are recognized at appropriate points in their careers and are positioned for continued excellence in scholarship, research and teaching.
- Generously share their time and expertise in critiquing their mentee’s work.
- Help to create a vital and engaged academic community in their school and at USC.
- Involve peers and students in publications, grants and conferences, as well as readily sharing knowledge of such opportunities.
- Make others aware of the contributions and value of their mentees.
- Serve as role models for their colleagues by maintaining high standards for excellence within their own discipline and at the level of the larger University.
Eligible nominees are faculty who have either won a USC Mentoring Award or have the equivalent evidence of excellence in mentoring and be nominated at this time by their dean.
Only one nomination per school will be considered for the award. Nominations should include a letter of nomination from the dean and supporting letters from at least two of the nominee’s peers or current or former mentees. All nomination materials should be submitted by 5:00pm on Friday, October 19, 2018 to Omar Villa in the Office of the Vice Provost for Academic and Faculty Affairs at email@example.com or to:
Provost’s Mentoring Award
Office of the Vice Provost for Academic and Faculty Affairs
ADM 204 MC 4019
Last updated September 13, 2018