Congratulations to the Recipients of the 2017 USC Mentoring Awards!
Please click here for a complete list of this year’s awardees.
The USC Mentoring Awards honor individual faculty members for helping to build a supportive academic environment through faculty-to-student mentoring and faculty-to-faculty mentoring.
• Faculty Mentoring Faculty, Postdoctoral Scholars, Medical Residents, and Fellows
• Faculty Mentoring Students
Criteria for Awards
Distinguished mentoring for academic and professional success occurs at USC through formal and informal channels, and may vary in style and substance from discipline to discipline. The main criterion for mentoring awards is demonstration of a continued commitment to, and effectiveness in, mentoring.
Individual awards will be given to faculty members who consistently perform one or more of the following:
1. Offer valuable information, insight, and counsel that helps advance and develop a mentee’s own path to success, both academic and professional.
2. Generously share time and expertise critiquing a mentee’s work and progress.
3. Involve peers and students in publications, grants, and conference presentations, as well as readily sharing knowledge of such opportunities.
4. Serve as a role model by maintaining high standards for excellence within their own discipline and in the University community more widely.
Eligibility for Nominations
All faculty members—part-time and full-time—currently employed by USC are eligible for nomination. A nominee may not win two years in a row.
Submit a complete nomination form and maximum of TWO letters supporting the nomination in addition to the letter from the primary nominator. Letters can be solicited from past or present mentees of the nominee, the nominee’s department chair, the nominee’s dean, or other appropriate individuals. Letters should not exceed two pages each.
Letters of support can be submitted at the same time as the nomination form or separately here.
All nomination forms and letters of support must be submitted electronically by 5:00pm on Friday, January 27, 2017.
Paper nominations will not be accepted and nominations cannot be supplemented after the deadline.
- Nominations submitted by 5:00 p.m., January 27, 2017
- Selection announced by March 28, 2017
- Awards Ceremony: April 6, 2017
For questions, please contact Dana Coyle, Program Manager at USC Center for Excellence in Teaching, at firstname.lastname@example.org.