FACULTY WITH RESEARCH RESPONSIBILITIES
TRANSFERRING STAFF AND RESOURCES
At the time you sign your offer letter or soon thereafter:
- Initiate the transfer of graduate students and postdocs to USC, if applicable, by contacting your department administrator.
- Initiate the transfer of contracts and grants to USC, if applicable, by contacting your department’s business manager.
- Initiate the conversation about the design or your lab, if applicable, by contacting your department chair or representative from your school’s faculty affairs office.
In cooperation with the SC Clinical and Translational Science Institute, a new “Research Training Finder” has been created. Use this website to quickly determine what training is required for you, your staff and your students, based on the type of research that you do.
HIPAA PRIVACY EDUCATION PROGRAM
- Clinical faculty and staff of Keck Medical Center of USC access the HIPAA education program through the Healthstream learning system. (Login required)
- All other USC faculty, students, and staff use a system managed by the Office of Compliance.
HUMAN RESEARCH SUBJECTS TRAINING AND CERTIFICATION
- All faculty who will be engaging in the use of human research subjects, must complete the online human subjects education program (CITI).
- The Office for the Protection of Research Subjects provides information on CITI.
iSTAR: IRB SUBMISSION TRACKING AND REVIEW SYSTEM
- Upon completion of CITI, faculty can request an iStar account to request and track the approval and administrative processes for projects and protocols involving human subjects in research. (Login required)
- For faculty at the Children’s Hospital Los Angeles, note that details for iStar access can be found on the bottom of the iStar account set up page. (Login required)
FAMILIARIZE YOURSELF WITH LAB SAFETY TRAINING REQUIREMENTS
- The Office of Environmental Health and Safety provides an online primer for new principal investigators that provides detailed information on biological safety, chemical safety, and radiation safety.
- A complete list of safety training courses is available on the Office of Environmental Health Safety site. Registration can be completed online by USC student, staff, and faculty using their USC credentials.
VISIT THE WEBSITE OF THE OFFICE OF RESEARCH
- View the Research Calendar to learn about and RSVP for important workshops and trainings for investigators.
- Bookmark the page on upcoming workshops and trainings to keep abreast of what resources are available for you and people in your lab.
- Review the Guide for Research to understand your responsibilities as a research investigator and that of other parties and departments in the university.
Last updated June 2022